Monday, March 19, 2012

Family fun from SimpleKids.net

I just found out that I am going to be at the Cinco de Mayo Family Festival in May and am trying to come up with a fun idea for a craft. Not sure what I'm going to be able to do - but I do LUV this idea. I just think it will take to long and where would I dry their pictures?

This art idea is from SimpleKids.net - it would be fun to do at home too!
(Click here for the complete article)



Any piece of your child’s artwork can be turned into a bookmark masterpiece. Process-style art – finger painting, bubble-wrap printing, or crayon scribbling – makes especially colorful and striking bookmarks. Here’s one of our favorite art projects, that also happens to make beautiful bookmarks:

Watercolor & Salt Painting

My girls recently collaborated on a watercolor painting. They started with wet paper, then added swirls, puddles, and dots of bright watercolors. When they were finished painting, they sprinkled salt over the entire paper. As the salt dries, it soaks up some of the watercolor, leaving interesting and unique designs. My 9-year-old calls this “a masterpiece in minutes!”     
watercolor and salt painting
Photo by Amy Anderson

When the painting was dry, we brushed off the salt and cut our painting into bookmarks. We had plenty to keep, and a few to share, too.
I’m happy to say that we now have a stash of bookmarks in the living room, as well as more in our bedrooms. I love sitting down in the evening, opening my book, and seeing one of my girls’ mini masterpieces holding my place.
Happy crafting & reading!

1 comment:

  1. What a great looking picture. And craft. I love the idea of the salt sprinkled on the painting. Thank you for sharing.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete