Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Very First Noah's Ark Playtime ~ Preschool Book Review

My Very First Noah's Ark Playtime
By author: Lois Rock
Illustrated by: Alex Ayliffe
ISBN: 978-0745964140
$7.99 (paperback)
Age 3-5 years

About the book:
This fun activity book features puzzles, games, and the timeless story of Noah and the ark. The book also includes stickers that pair with the activities and encourage children to learn as they play. Cute and colorful collage illustrations that jump off the page will keep children engaged.

This handy book can be used during the holidays, on vacation, or just to fill the time on a rainy day.


My thoughts:
I am excited about the opportunities now available for preschoolers in the world of activity books. I have looked for activity books at Walmart and other stores and always turn away. It usually seems like they are heavy on the stickers & the price and that is about it and it doesn't help the kids won't even look at them.. Lois Rock consistently turns out fun activity books that are heavy on "reading", interaction and they are educational and encourage reading comprehension (this is a HUGE plus in my mind) as well. The pictures are really cute and I'll admit I enjoy looking at them as much as my 3 year old daycare child does (and she picks them up to look at over and over again). She considers these HER books and even after the stickers are done she enjoys reading the stories and doing the puzzles and activities in the book. These books end up in my car for the kids to look at on drives or while we are waiting to pick up one child or another after school or on long trips to preschool playtime or some other fun activity.

I would love to see more of these books - there are stories for Adam & Eve, Daniel & the Lions, David & Goliath (see my review here), Joshua & the Battle of Jericho, Easter (see my review here), the Christmas story and so many others that can be added to this series. I would also love to see other more "secular" type activity books written - perhaps Kregel and the authors in this series could come up with some fun story/activity books to do a side series to this one perhaps for the next age level (beginning readers).

Use this series for stocking stuffers, easter baskets - stock up on them for birthday gifts. Your kids will definitely grab them to give to their little friends. Add some of those new twist up crayons, markers and drawing paper and you are set.

Disclaimer:
I was given a copy of the book to read and review on CCB. I was not required to have a positive review & no money exchanged hands. Thanks for reading CCB!

No comments:

Post a Comment